Hypocrisy cannot get better than this

Article Link: Hypocrisy

Dean Jones, the former Australia Test batsman turned TV commentator, has been sacked by his employers, Ten Sports, after being heard calling Hashim Amla a 'terrorist' on live television during the fourth day's play between Sri Lanka and South Africa at Colombo.

When Amla, who is a devout Muslim, took the catch to dismiss Kumar Sangakkara, Jones was heard to say "the terrorist has got another wicket".

Now get what Dean has to say on all this on being fired from his job.
""I'm gone, I'm on the 1 a.m. flight," he admitted. "It was a silly and completely insensitive thing to say and, obviously, it was never supposed to be heard over the air. I am truly sorry to have caused offence to anybody and the last thing I intended was to be disrespectful.

"Everyone needs to get away from perpetuating the myth, publicly and privately, that beards associated with the Muslim faith are somehow suspicious, and I intend to do exactly that. The irony is that I am great friends with most of the Pakistan team and they are all Muslims.

"I have no end of respect for the Muslim faith - that's why I'm so sorry at making such a stupid comment," he said. "It does not represent who I am, how I think or what I believe. I will be the first person to apologise to Hashim as soon as I get the chance, and I will assure him that prejudice against anybody, on any basis, is unacceptable and not something I will ever condone."

Somehow I think that if an Indian had made such a comment, there would have a hailstorm of protests. But........

Update 1.
Trust the Aussies to bluster their way out of everything.
Cricinfo's coverage of the issue

Some notable quotes,
"Jones, who will reportedly keep his commentary position on Australian radio"

Syed Saba Karim, the former Indian wicketkeeper-turned-commentator, did not condone Jones but believed it could have been an honest mistake.
Madan Lal, the former Indian allrounder, termed it a mistake that could have been avoided.
Simililary, Arun Lal, the former Indian batsman and prominent commentator, maintained that it was a bad mistake.

What is so surprising is that except a couple of people (Vijay Amritraj, Kriti Azad), no one has come forward to lambast Jones. Goes back to what I said earlier, if it was an Indian who had made the comment, all hell had broken loose. But the "whites" of this world surely have a lot of leeway in the cricketing world.

Update 2. Patrix blogs about this also.

Update 3. The "great" Border weighs in on this HERE. Perhaps if someone referred to the Aussies as the "sons of criminals" (reference to the British criminals who were shipped to Australia in the earlier part of the century), then he would get things in perspective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balkanization of Pakistan

Film Reviews on IndiaFM

Outsourcing - the new wave !!